Welcome to the mayhem

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Ely ,MN a Boundary Canoe Water Area

Ely, MN is a small town 6400 people at the top of MN.  It is 20 miles south of the Canadian border and headquarters to the Boundary Canoe Waters area.  It is a total tourist town.  It will be home to my son for three years when he goes to college.  
 When he goes to college there, he will get to wake up to critters walking around everywhere.  Even weasels under his car.
 Miner's Lake is within walking distance of campus.  There is another bigger lake within 5 minutes drive from here.




 Canoeing is the tourist business of the area.  Along with hunting and fishing galore.  This college is one of nine in the country that has the program that Kota wants to pursue, forest ranging at the national level.  This college is 18 hours away from home.  Three and 1/2 hours away from Grandma and Grandpa Crawford.

 I can't believe my first little chick is getting ready to go.  His plan is to move to MN after graduation.  My plan is to be able to let him go.  Good thing I have a year to get used to the idea.
Church is 50 minutes away.  I found he has an LDS couple in Ely, that owns a canoe outfitter.  Phew, a possible job and people close to help him when he needs it.  I love that about my church family...it's where ever my kids could possible go...no worries.

4 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful, and it's good that he has someone form his ward living nearby. That is a LOOOONG drive to church!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a beautiful setting. I still see Dakota in my mind as a Primary kiddo, so I'm not sure how you are letting go. I guess when I actually open my eyes and look at him, I have to re-think that though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was born in Minnesota so I know the beautiful area and it's many lakes! Kota will love being there! Good thing you have a year to get used to it. Also good to have church family in the area!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, now he needs to go see it this Winter! I know it's hard to say bye but saying hello when they return home for visits is fun. Until you realize they're not kids anymore and after a few visits you'll be ready for him to be a real grownup! Great pics of a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete