Welcome to the mayhem

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Friday, April 10, 2020

Getting Our Kicks on Route 60

Spring Break brought a little heartbreak for me.  I was planning on spending a week with Kyle in North Carolina visiting my daughter and her hubby.  Due to the virus, we opted not to go.  Kyle instead picked two days to stay with me this week.  We opted to do some social distancing, by having a driving vacation.  
 We ended up on Monday driving State Route 60 to Marietta, Ohio.  We were in no rush to be any where so we just took the scenic route.  You never know what you are going to find when you are on a drive.

We found some bison...
 ...flowering dogwood trees...
 ...beautiful architecture...
 ...song birds serenading us...
 ...old barns...
 ...murals...
 ...locks on the Muskingum River...

 ... a little park along the Ohio River, which was a perfect place to eat some KFC and watch...
 river boats float by...
 ..and wave to West Virginia.  It was a gorgeous 68* outside on Monday.  So we decided to take a different route home, before hooking back up with State Route 60 in Zanesville.
 We saw a covered bridge...
 ...took a small hike in Burr Oak State Park...and meandered our way through farm country in Holmes County...
 and bumped into my new favorite cow, the Scottish Highlander.  What an eventful Monday.
 Wednesday, we started our day at an Ashland County Park.  We were just going to hike on Wednesday.  We hiked along 603 and found what old timers call the Steigerwalt bridge.
 It is named that because the Steigerwalt's  (my great-greats) had a farm close to here.
 We hiked a couple of miles through the Black Fork River bottoms.  Tuesday it rained a lot so it was pretty soggy.
 Nothing some water proof boots couldn't handle though.  We splashed through the park scaring away deer and ducks along the way.
 We decided to get some lunch and weren't ready to go back home so we started driving through Amish farms north of Ashland.
 As we meandered through the farms we bumped into ...
 ...the beautiful peacock...
 ...Canada geese...
 We stopped at another Ashland County Park and hiked a bit more...then meander through some more farm country.  We bumped into State Route 60 again and decided that we have never been to Vermillion, Ohio...so why not.
 We bumped into Lake Erie.
Our drive cation took us from Lake Erie, to the Ohio River.  It will be a spring break I will remember for a long time.  I realized in all those miles, that I am grateful for a husband who knew I needed him to not leave me alone on a week where I could have been visiting my daughter.  I am grateful that we still love each other.  I am grateful that we got to witness a sacred General Conference to start our week and got to participate in a Worldwide Fast on Good Friday.  Although I didn't get to hug my daughter, I got to experience a lot of love and happiness, for this I am most grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great week! I loved conference but really missed gathering at church for Easter and having the family over. Our trip to see our granddaughter graduate in Portland OR is cancelled so I understand your sadness at missing Kayla. We only get to see Craig and family once a year so I hope we can get there sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete