Welcome to the mayhem

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Zamboni part 2

Just for the record, Kyle knew what a Zamboni was, just knew Stromboli and Zamboni sounded about the same. :)

Here is the recipe, we change the toppings from straight sausage to a mixture of our favorite pizza toppings.  I usually use pepperoni and mushrooms and onions.  Or just the meat and cheese for my kids.  This recipe can easily be cut in half.

Cheesy Sausage Stromboli
5 c. Flour
2 Tbsp. Sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 pkgs yeast (or 2 1/2 tsps bulk)
1 1/2 c. warm water
1/2 c. warm milk (I use 2 cups water and 1/3 cup powdered milk)
2 Tbsp butter
2 lbs pork sausage
4 cups mozzarella cheese
3 eggs
1/4 tsp. basil
2 Tbsp. Parmesan Cheese

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast.  Add water, milk and butter.  Beat on low until combined.  Turn onto well floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic for 6-8 minutes.  (I just used my kitchen aid the whole time.  I added flour until it wasn't sticky anymore, then let the machine knead for the 6-8 minutes)  Place in a greased bowl turning once.  Cover and let rise 1 hour.  (I skipped this part and it did just fine, mine rested about 10-15 minutes while I was working with the sausage.)  Meanwhile, in a skillet cook sausage and cool.  Stir in moz. cheese, 2 eggs and basil and set aside.  Punch dough down and divide into half.  Roll 1 portion into 15 x 10 inch rectangle, spoon in 1/2 the mixture.  Fold dough over and seal ends.  (I just tuck them inside it.)  Cut 4 diagonal slits in the top.  Repeat with the remaining dough and mixture.  Beat remaining egg and brush over loaf.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Bake at 375* for 20-30 minutes or golden brown.  I serve this with pizza sauce to dip in.

No comments:

Post a Comment