Welcome to the mayhem

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Monday, August 22, 2011

Spudnut Success

Weird name, but I didn't name 'em.  My mother-in-law is known for her cooking and baking.  I learned of her culinary talents before I ever met her.  I was so afraid to cook for Kyle, because I worried that I wouldn't be able to "measure" up to her tried and true talent.
I'm no longer afraid to try Robin's recipies.  I just know that mine won't be as good on my first attempt.  All that being said, my THIRD attempt actually tasted good.  I couldn't bring myself to tell her (even though she's going to read this) that I attempted them while she was down and they were terrible.  (I added too much flour the first time and the second time my yeast didn't work).  Well I'm not a quitter, so as the old addage goes, third time's a charm!  I combined two recipies I had because I opted for the easier for me methods of both recipies.  (oil because I didn't have to measure shortening, and microwaving over saucepan scalding, I didn't know what scalded milk should look like).  These were REALLY good.  I see why my brother and sister-in-laws love them.  Yummo!




The family prefered the glazed over the frosted.  We took some over to the Kline's when we talked about starting seminary this week.  The family of 6 had no trouble helping eat this huge batch.  I will definately need to make these when I can share, because I got about 4-5 dozen donuts.  I'm not sure the final count; we kept eating them warm.

Spudnuts (I combined a couple of recipes Robin's and one I had cut out before)
1/2 cup mashed potatoes (I used 1 cup)
2 packages dry yeast
1 1/2  cups warm milk (I heated mine in the microwave 1 minute or scald)
1/2 cup oil  (or 1/2 cup shortening, I used the oil it's easier)
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp. salt
6 1/2 -7 1/2 cup flour (I used 7 1/2)

Glaze: 4 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup water
1 tsp vanilla

Cook potatoes and reserve 1/2 cup liquid.  Cool until 110 degrees.  Dissolve yeast in liquid.  Warm milk.  (one recipe called for scalded, I just microwaved it did the trick).  In large bowl mix dissolved yeast, mashed potatoes, milk, oil, sugar, salt and eggs.  Add enough flour to make a soft dough. (It will be sticky, my first mistake was to add too much flour).  Place in a greased bowl and let rise until doubled about 1 hour.  Punch down and rise again about 20 minutes.  Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness cut with 3 inch donut cutter (I used a canning jar lid and a melon baller for the smaller holes, because I didn't have a donut cutter)  Deep fry 375 degrees until golden brown, flip during cooking .  Dip in warm glaze.  Cool on wire racks.  Makes 4-5 dozen

9 comments:

  1. oh my goodness they look sooo good. pour me a cup of coffee and pass a spudnut!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look really good Stacy...reminds me of my Grandma who made the best donuts and creme puffs...yum! I might have to try these, but I'll wait until I have a crowd, Jack and I don't need any donuts! Well, I should say IIII don't need any donuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, Yum! Those look so good! If I show my daughter, she'll probably make them for us!

    Almost time for school! Thanks for your comments . . . I'll try reading the paper while riding my bike! We went in today and I was pretty good, mostly just gave directions to my sister and daughter. Still, my knee swelled up from being on my feet so long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! My mom used to make homemade doughnuts. I have tried to make them but I've never fried anything in oil and I just ended up with greasy tasteless little messes. Maybe you can come over for a hands on lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The name may be weird, but they look so freakin' delicious.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness now I have to quit blogging and find something to eat. lol
    These look soo wonderful
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I love the name, and the fact that you didn't give up. I have memories of my mom making doughnuts when I was very young (before life got too busy) and can still bring the fragrance and taste to mind. Thank you for this reminder.

    What a lucky family - to have a mom willing to put the time into a great recipe like this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recipe Stacy! They look soo delicious!! I know what it's like to have a mother-in-law who is an amazing cook! I kind of feel bad for Casey that he went from amazing food from his mom to my not so amazing food! haha

    ReplyDelete